Thursday, April 1, 2010

A teacher is always a student : a paradox


I do believe on the saying "who dares to teach must never cease to learn." From that, it feared me to continue venturing this profession. Judging myself, I am not so hard-working neither studious. This defies the definition of a teacher from the Preamble of Code of Ethics for Professional Teachers.
"Teachers are duly licensed professionals who possesses dignity and reputation with high moral values as well as technical and professional competence in the practice of their noble profession, and they strictly adhere to, observe, and practice this set of ethical and moral principles, standards, and values."
Although not stated directly, it means that I need to work like an ant who works day and night even on rainy season. I must be equipped with academic and pedagogical content of my chosen major and the philosophies of education so and so...

I am on my way to the last year of my educational life in Gordon College. This school gives students a really breath-taking school works and restless nights. (sighs) Hopefully, if luck resides on my side, I would be very fortunate to survive the angst of college life-the dreadful college life. Lots of things to accomplish, lots of lessons to learn, lots and lots. It's such a blessing that my brain has the capacity to store a massive information. (still not in sanity period..wait 'til I get mad..hehe) ..

I do have problems with time management. I am an avid fan of Procrastination club. In fact, I am qualified to be the leader. It's not that I am proud of it which I am NOT. I can't balance my time. To be honest, I don't really intend to neglect my studies. It's just that friends are irresistible to resist. When they want to hang out, I don't say NO as an answer. I don't want to miss my college joyful days. As a youth with great deal of zeal and energy, I live with the line "CARPE DIEM".

One year and few months from now, I will be a teacher. (supposedly) I don't hate studies. (just some PROF ED subjects..argghh..BO~RING!) I just hate what studying brings --stress. (but it's part of it) Once I teach, I will remain as a student. Though technically, I am a teacher (in the future), still, I am one of those who still learns and continue to learn. It is a never-ending process of learning. I have to learn in order to educate my students (to be) with proper strategies and content-wise. And for the changes that the world is offering in the system of education, I shall learn for them not to be left behind as the technology advances.

This won't stop here. I want to continue my venture in studying. I will take my MA degree in a well-known University (that I always dreamed of). I am thinking of taking a Linguistic masters, Speech Pathology MA or Psychology ma. I have lots in mind. Still hemming and hawing. Nevertheless, I still have more time to come up with a sure decision.

No comments: